Part I: How This Process Works

  1. You MUST reside in Grays Harbor or Pacific Counties.
    a. Not sure whether you live in Grays Harbor or Pacific Counties?
    b. Outside Grays Harbor or Pacific Counties and need energy assistance? Try
    c. You MUST schedule an appointment for the location determined appropriate.
  2. You cannot have received energy assistance since October 1, 2018.
  3. You must be income eligible

Part II: Getting An Appointment

  1. Appointments are scheduled on a first come first serve basis (for heating assistance ONLY on this web site). If you need help with anything other than heating, you must call the CCAP office closest to your home.
  2. You will need to fill in: total number of people in the household, your name, address, phone number and All income from the 3 months prior to the month of your appointment. You will want to have all required information available before beginning the application process.
  3. When you complete the application and it is determined that you MAY qualify you will be prompted to select an appointment location and a time period from the online calendar.
  4. If you want to make an appointment for someone other than yourself you MUST have all of their necessary information available before beginning the application process.

Questions or Problems

  1. For questions that haven't been answered click the FAQ link at the black menu bar at the top of the page.
  2. If you have any other questions please contact:

    Coastal Community Action Program
    101 East Market Street
    Aberdeen, WA 98520
    (360)533-5100 or (800)828-4883